Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Readers respond

After reading my last post, friend John must have noticed I didn't have a photo of the Footbridge Farm oriole nest -- the one with strands of housewrap woven into it -- because he promptly sent me one (thanks, John!):




Also, the results are in...and Tom and Jean (my uncle and aunt) are the winners of the snowman plant ID contest with three plant species apiece.  I look forward to treating them to lunch at Decorah's food co-op as promised!  (In case you're curious, I've provided identifications for the snowman plants in a comment at the end of that post.)

My aunt's response came in the form of a poem (thanks, Aunt Jean!):

When you are in a prairie,
or more truthfully,
in a prairie community,
do not rush to judgement.
Common can be uncommon,
And showy, not so showy.
Sumac, dressed her showy red
is abundant, but certainly not common.
Canada rye is restorative
but not without a sense of newness.
And sticky, sticky burdock,
who can be painful in fall,
relents, in winter to a wet fuzziness.

---

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete